Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Life Update (aka 2012 so far...)


Londontown.
Sooo...it's been awhile. I know, I know, I'm sorry. It's been a busy year, what can I say? I want to tell you all about where I am now (hint, it's pictured above) and what my plans are for the future but first, let's step back to reflect on the past year.



I rang in the New Year in one of my favorite cities in the world (and one which I thought would become my future home) San Francisco. I went up to visit Lauren, and the kooky O'Connor- Korb clan, and we had a blast, as we always do. Plenty of gourmet food, way too much wine, and the entire first season of Downton Abbey made the trip a perfect way to start 2012.


Jumping in the vineyards of Napa Valley.
When I came home to Vegas, I was in for one of the most stressful semesters of my life. I had a full load of classes plus I was interning at KVVU Fox5, my very first foray into broadcast journalism. That internship taught me more about myself than anything I've ever done. I had no clue what I was doing, and I learned so much in the process. Within my first few weeks I was sitting at the assignment desk, listening to the police scanner, going through press releases, and sitting in on the live broadcast. Then I was out in the field myself, first with photographers (aka camera men) then shadowing reporters, we went everywhere, from a Ron Paul rally to a Metro police press conference.


The Fox5 Live truck. I was in there a lot.
I eventually wrote, edited and produced three segments on my own, which I was extremely proud of. 


Editing myself for my very first segment.
I was at Fox5 from January to May. Those months were a whirlwind of school and running around with reporters and trying to have a social life and finding time to just breathe. In April, my brother Janaka came to visit from London with two of his friends, Ryan and David. This is significant because David ended up having quite the impact on me, and I happen to be writing this in his apartment, in London, where I've been living for the past few months. But we're getting to that....


Waving after walking across that stage. I was SO happy. 
Soon enough, it was May. Time for graduation! After all those years of moving around, I finally stuck it out in Vegas long enough to get my degree. May 12, 2012 was a great day indeed. My friends, family and loved ones all came together to celebrate my achievements. What more could a girl ask for?


With my proud mom after graduation.
Well, my birthday was right around the corner, and in June I celebrated in LA with a few of my closest friends. But the whole time I had something else on my mind. There was another upcoming trip I couldn't stop thinking about. David and I had been emailing (and then calling each other) daily since his visit to Vegas, and we decided to meet up in New York, for a long weekend at the end of June. This was the most exciting/romantic thing that had ever happened to me. I was so scared, but also had this feeling in my gut that it was going to be great. Better than great. In fact, I had a sneaking suspicion our weekend together would change my life. And I was right. Our time in New York confirmed what we both suspected- this was the real deal. Everything felt so effortless, we were so comfortable with each other immediately, it felt like we'd been together for years. And walking with him, hand in hand, through my old neighborhood, in one of my favorite cities in the world, I felt happier than I've felt in years. Unfortunately we lived in different countries, and our storybook romance would have to be put temporarily on hold.


Reservoir in Central Park.
This was for a number of reasons, but mostly because I'd already decided to spend the month of July volunteering in Costa Rica. I spent 3 weeks there, taking daily Spanish lessons and caring for children at an orphanage near San Jose. It was an amazing way to spend my summer, it went by in a flash, yet my time there was so meaningful to me, and my heart has never felt so full. 


At the orphanage with the beautiful Fabiola.
I loved have a purpose, getting up at the crack of dawn every day and doing something good for the world. I taught the kids English, we played games together, but mostly I was just there to love and support them, to make them smile, and to make their days a little brighter. And I hope I did that. I also got to explore the country, make awesome new friends, and get out of my comfort zone. It was an incredible experience I'll never forget.


With my little man Jefferson.
The only downside was that I was missing David like crazy. The timing couldn't have been worse. But everything fell into place, because a few weeks later I was on a plane to London, and I haven't left since. I've been here since early August. At first I was only supposed to stay a few weeks, but we both decided we needed more time together, and we were right. It's been wonderful, and I've loved every minute I've spent here.


David and I in Barcelona for his birthday.
Unfortunately, because of visa restrictions, I can't stay forever, and I'll be leaving at the end of the month. But I wanted to use this blog to showcase some of the awesome places I've discovered in my few months in London, and to give you all an update on what's next....

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Aneya! What a whirlwind year! Sounds amazing, incredible adventure.

    ReplyDelete